Sunday 4 May 2014

Long ride Saturday 3rd May

  I was not expecting to be on this ride, and had planned to take some photos of the short ride to Epsom Downs. However, as no one else was available I led 17 riders to Wimbledon Park via New Malden, Copse Hill and Wimbledon Common. The Common was surprisingly wet in places and in others the gravel infill to some of the deeper puddles was difficult to ride on, especially for those with narrow tyres.
  Wimbledon Park was very busy, as you would expect on a Bank Holiday weekend, with queues at the Cafe. After leaving the Park we went through the back of Wimbledon Town Centre, through Merton Park and across to Hillcross Avenue. I was keen to see in what condition Green Lane between Garth Road and Worcester Park was, as I had seen resurfacing going on earlier in the week. Liz Scrivens decided to use the normal route through the Cemetery and Joseph Hood, and we met her at the other end of the Lane. Although not fully resurfaced, the Lane is much more rideable and is now a good way of avoiding the A24 on my usual ride to Nonsuch from home in Wimbledon.
  I also saw last week on the ride to Oaks Park that a new hard surface bike path has been laid through the car park, so that particular off-road ride is much easier.
  I was pleased to see Pat Coulson and John Gould out today after breaks due to illness, and the ride was completed with no mechanicals or anyone getting lost. Thanks to John Bellamy for being an efficient back marker.
No photos this time as I accidentally deleted them from my camera, which is a shame as it was a sunny afternoon with almost no wind and the scent of May Blossom to accompany us.

No comments:

Post a Comment