Monday 28 July 2014

Tony' s ride to the coast on the 19th. Further stuff.

  This ride was notable from my point of view for three reasons, one revealing, two alarming and one humiliating.
  The first, and something that almost always happens when I go on a ride lead by someone else, is finding a new route to a familiar destination. In this case a cut-through from Tadworth to Walton on the Hill via the Avenue, Motts Hill Lane and Withybed Corner. This neatly avoids the busy St Mere Road and comes out by the Mere Pond. I will use this one again thanks to Tony's local knowledge.
 The second was my first experience of shimmying, aka speed wobble, on the descent of Pebble Hill.
According to the late, great, Sheldon Brown ( see his website for information about everything to do with cycling), this is caused by lateral oscillation of the head tube on fast descents. The higher the saddle and the longer the frame, the more likely is a shimmy and I was descending with all brakes on at 30mph. Luckily, releasing the front brake and the road levelling out after the 16% section cured the problem but makes me reluctant to descend that particular hill in future.
  After a brisk ride along the lanes to Horsham in bright sunshine and a snack at Wetherspoons I then discovered I had a rear tyre puncture as we set off. Intending to catch up, I mended the flat in good time, only to discover I had put the old, damaged inner tube back in! Morale took a tumble at this point and I slunk back 300 yards to a new bike shop we had just passed, where an efficient mechanic changed the tube in even quicker time while I watched the TDF on their TV.
  I then decided to return home via Leatherhead, and stopped off for another snack at Bike Beans cafe in Ashstead.
  In the end I did 63 miles, and had a good ride back without incident as the temperature topped 28c.
Thanks to Tony and the others. Three lessons in one ride.
Harry

No comments:

Post a Comment