Monday 23 March 2020

Social distancing in Dystopia. Part Two. Farthing Down

Farthing Down, Rectory Lane and Banstead

I was despatched after the Croydon trip to Farthing Down in order to test our plan to keep exercising on the bike within government guidelines.  The aim was to be self-sufficient; no intercourse, no breaching the social distance; therefore no cake stops, no coffee stops and great care at any loo stops.  No stopping at all except at lights and junctions and, because it was a cold day, to pull in to an uninhabited lay-by and blow my nose.  I took a spare inner tube and tyre levers but plan B for any mechanical mishap was to ring home and summon the car.  Plan C, tie up the bike and walk home.  I wondered whether I should have put trainers in the pannier against that risk.

Farthing Down was my first target; to see if it was easier after having done the Hilly Fifty.  The traffic was lighter than usual, which made the tricky right uphill turn off Marlpit Road pretty easy.  Farthing Down was cold and a bit too windy.  No other cyclists, two or three lone hikers, a couple of dog walkers but everybody keeping themselves to themselves, thankfully, except for the nod or the “Good Afternoon”.

When this is all over, God willing, I will be leading an extended Beginners Ride over Caterham on the Hill.  Taking an energy supplement in the car park at the top, having done the Down without resorting to granny gear, my first thought was to do an early reconnaissance up there, but goodness knows now when the ride can be scheduled and anyway I know that road well.  Then I remembered all the whingeing I’d had last time I led a Beginners ride round Chipstead, especially on the climb up Park Road towards Banstead, so I decided instead to recce an alternative route back to Nonsuch suggested by Colin; Rectory Lane.

David Vine told me when we were at the bottom of Pitch Hill a few weeks ago that the worst thing you can do with a hill you were unsure about is look up it before you start; well, Rectory Lane looks precipitous from the bottom; the roofs of the houses above you give the impression of an Amalfi coast village.  Actually, it turns out to be well within the scope of anyone who might tag on to the longer ride on a Saturday.  It does not seem as narrow on a bike as it does when you are in a car and the steepest bit is at the bend at the top, with which many Beginners will be familiar, if not enamoured, because we emerge there from the ride through the woods from Clock House.

From The Woodman at Woodmansterne my ride was (mostly) downhill, along the top to Banstead, down the pothole slalom past the prison, and down Pine Walk West (I have met cars overtaking on the blind bends on the eastern hill, so I descend the western one).  There is one last climb over Metcalfe Avenue and then I can rest my feet on the handlebars and roll home.

Mission accomplished; good exercise and an afternoon out of the house without breaching the guidelines and thereby risking spreading or receiving the virus.  29.9Km at 16.1 km/h, 287m elevation gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment