Sunday 3 December 2023

Ice on the cake; Nonsuch 1-o-clockers 2 December

The temptation was not to go out at all, but a promise is a promise and there is always someone there to lead a Beginners ride.....

At first as I rounded the bend at the cafe I thought phew, there's no-one here, I can just go home, but Nigel has to have a jolly good reason to be a no-show and Peter was there too, going for quick walks to keep his circulation going.

Leatherhead was the published destination but we had not got to the Ewell By-pass before we decided to cut it short in the freezing cold, and Nigel led us to Horton Arts Centre, where we never go, possibly because it is too close to Nonsuch.  Better than that, Nigel paid for our food and drink.

What a pleasant place it is, even if there is always an air of sadness around the old Epsom mental hospitals; so many sad histories and wrongful incarcerations, and the Arts Centre was originally the chapel for the hospital.

Still, the quiche and the chocolate were hot and outside we met a man riding a Viking Conqueror who was persuaded to take a picture of the magnificent three but appeared never to have handled a mobile phone before!  I have a collection of fuzzy images of feet and headless cyclists but one of them came out.



After the picture shoot we scooted off home.  28km door to door, shorter for the others, but at least we got out.  I forgot my overshoes but remembered to try wrapping my feet in silver foil.  Perhaps I need to try two layers of foil (and overshoes) next time it's this cold.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment