Thursday, 24 September 2026

Short Ride to Merton Abbey Mills - Saturday 19 September 2026

 Anna writes:

Beddington to MED

With Paul and Maggie out of the country and Roger incapacitated with a swollen ankle, it was left to me to lead the ride from Beddington. Although I would have liked to go to Elmers End, the only route I had on my Beeline was to MED, so MED it was. Or at least that was the plan. Two turns in, I realised we were heading towards Elmers End after all. Naturally, I blame the bike and not my own inability to pay attention to the Beeline.

A quick detour restored both the route and the illusion that the leader knew where she was going.

We crossed the tram tracks where Roger nearly got himself killed last time we were there (without incident this time) and eventually ended up at MED, much to my relief.

After coffee, cake and a good chat, someone spoiled the mood by asking if I knew the way back. The Beeline route ended at MED, so from that point on the plan was less “navigation” and more “confident improvisation”.

We set off and, with commendable efficiency, almost immediately took another wrong turn. Fortunately, I spotted it in time for a discreet turning in the road, then nearly missed the next turning as well, at which point Ken’s local knowledge became less a bonus and more the entire navigation strategy.

Dropping Ken off at the end of his road, Karen, Sharon and I sailed on until eventually Karen said goodbye and it was left to me to lead Sharon back to Beddington, which she didn’t really need as she knew the way.

Still, we got there and back without too many detours, punctures or nasty accidents, so I shall declare my accidental leadership a complete success.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. Comments are occasionally sent to the admins for approval so your comment may not appear immediately.