Monday 1 March 2021

Two arms. two legs, keep moving

 

From Steve H



Steve modelling the latest PPE

Just as the dreaded lurgy was getting into full swing last March an unexpected health problem put me off the road for the duration with the advice not to drive or cycle for at least a year in case of interruption of service.  Later on, riding was allowed but only in groups which, of course, was not allowed.  This left me with at least six idle wheels and unable to take advantage of last summer's unique but unfortunate combination of fine weather and quiet roads.  Nonetheless my New Year resolution was to break the Lockdown Lethargy and get back into the saddle.  To mitigate the possible consequences of a solo unplanned dismount I decided to equip myself with some elbow and knee protectors of the type worn by mountain bikers to hurl themselves down hillsides, reasoning that it would be easier to mend a limb than a joint.  The knee ones were fine, but although the elbow set was the correct medium size according to the measurements they were extremely tight and caused my forearms to swell, better even than spinach.  The large size replacement turned out to be a bit too large but as they did not sell a Goldilocks size I had to strap them on as tightly as possible and persevere, although I haven't tried zip ties yet.  Thus accoutred I decided that the time had come to bite the bullet and, er, hit the road.


A bit apprehensive at first after such a long lay-off, I was delighted to find that as soon as the wheels started turning I was away, the bike almost riding itself until I came to the first climb when it became immediately apparent that light pedal assistance was required.  After a few local loops through Banstead, Woodmansterne and Epsom Downs I was ready for the fray.  Although group riding is off the menu we are allowed to ride in pairs and Paul kindly offered to take me out on my first long ride, so on Saturday we set out from Belmont for Hampton Court in glorious sunshine and blue skies.  We skirted Nonsuch Park and made our way through the back roads to Worcester Park.  Being away for so long I had forgotten the routes and didn't recognise the roads and junctions but it turned out that we were going a different way to avoid the traffic.  On out through Tolworth and Thames Ditton, heading for the river.


The green opposite Hampton Court station was very busy with everyone having to stay outside, fortunately we found a small cafe and bench far from the madding crowd.  Suitably fortified by tea and cake we returned through picturesque Weston Green, pausing at the lake for a photo op, thence through Berrylands to north Cheam for another short break.  We passed the famous bottle house in Sutton and later the ornate house once lived in by the artist Graham Sutherland, he of the infamous Churchill portrait.  We parted company at Downs Road, and when I got back I had exactly 25 miles on the clock; not bad for a first effort and my thanks to Paul for a grand day out.  The climb up from Sutton was hard work with the Lockdown lack of fitness beginning to tell, hopefully this will improve with the miles, although I suspect that climbing will remain a work in progress.



Blood, sweat and gears

The sting in the tail was having to fend off a large car that was attempting to overtake just as I was signalling the final right turn into the house, it nearly was my final right turn.  Welcome back to cycling!

No comments:

Post a Comment