Monday 4 March 2024

Nonsuch 1pm Long ride to Brockham, 2nd March

 

From Steve Wiltshire

First Ride Lead Since Titanium Job  

Nigel was unavailable, due to MG club duties and Paul had run off to Dorset to avoid it, so I had the offer of leading the 1.00 long ride, to a destination of my choice. How could I resist! 

Weather forecast showed soggy in the morning but OK in the afternoon and, contrary to how it usually goes, it stopped raining as I left home.  

I got to the Mansion in plenty of time (12.59) to an empty everything, cafe seating, bike racks and courtyard. Early shower I thought but two minutes later Karl, John, Stuart and Lorraine turned up almost simultaneously. Had they been hiding in the bushes hoping no leader would come? 

How about Brockham, I offered (although between you and me, the “How about” was greyed out in my head). Fortunately everyone said yes, although Lorraine was unsure of her fitness and off we set through the small lakes and minor quagmires of the path out of Nonsuch. 

The first thigh challenge was going to be Longdown Lane, up towards the racecourse but Lorraine decided her fitness wasn’t up to it, despite all Nigel’s recent support and encouragement and U-turned at the College traffic lights to return to the park and catch Diane’s short ride. 

So, we who were now four scaled the mountain and headed towards the next ride highlight, Pebble Hill descent. For some reason I’d been calling it Gravel Hill but Stuart was kind to me and said it’s been there for a long time and probably has worn down over the years. We went “Wheeeee” using the gravity drive and on to Betchworth, I like that bit because it suddenly feels like you’re in the countryside. 

Coffee at the welcoming Reading Room. An interesting range of chat topics, from Headwinds to some I felt I needed my “Don’t get me started” T-shirt for. 

It was spitting a little as we left and the distant sky was British Summer Grey. Karl suggested waiting a bit but I assured him it wasn’t going to rain and I was right, if you don’t count the minor monsoon for 2km on the A25. 

Standard route back from Pixham and we split into two twos to avoid Mudsuch. 

Very enjoyable ride, thanks everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment